The call is promoted in partnership with the Universities of Murcia, Spain, and Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, Portugal
Feevale University, University of Murcia, from Spain, and the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, from Portugal, promote the call for mail art “Cartografias da Desilução Colonial”. The call proposes the sending of images in postal format, in free technique, based on the theme of (dis)belonging to the colonial imaginary, which will be part of the II International Exhibition of Mail Art. The exhibition is scheduled to October, at Espaço Cultural Feevale, located at Teatro Feevale. Submissions can be made by July 30th.
About the subject
The Iberian colonial enterprise tarnished the destiny of humanity from the 15th century, by tearing up oceans and violating territorialities. Images that guided European thought for centuries, especially between the years 1580 and 1640, when the union of the two Crowns transformed the Pacific into the Spanish Ocean, remain meaningful in territories once dominated. The colonial imaginary is still materialized in the cultural processes of the former colonies of the Americas and Africa. Although with peculiarities in the colonialist processes of Portugal and Spain, violence, silence, and perversion were marks spread by the actors of colonial forces, which imposed endless pain on autochthonous societies. This movement created something between euphoria and dysphoria, between the recognition of the other and the denial of the self, revealing feelings of belonging and (dis)belonging to the colonial imaginary. The call proposes to bring together artistic materiality (mail art) that puts into perspective the articulations of the Iberian imaginary that are pulverized around the world in its multiple nuances from the 15th century to contemporary times.
- The call is aimed at artists, designers, students, teachers, and the community
- The technique used, format and size are free, only the work must be two-dimensional: collage, photography, painting, digital art, drawing, etc. It is possible to write, sew, tear, print, pick up, etc.
- When sending the mail art, the participant is aware that the institution will have full rights over the image for reproduction, dissemination, exhibition, etc, always referencing and respecting the authorship
- There is no selection, no return of works, no cash prizes. All works received will be joined in the exhibition and in a digital catalogue. The organization reserves the right not to display works of an offensive nature.
- The exhibition will take place in October, at Espaço Cultural Feevale, located at Teatro Feevale. More detailed information on social media: @pgprocessosfeevale
- The material must be sent by post and stamped to the following address: TEATRO FEEVALE (Espaço Cultural) - ERS-239, n° 2755/Campus II - Universidade Feevale/ CEP: 93.548-480/ Novo Hamburgo, RS, Brazil. It must include: first and last name, city, country, email, and the title: Cartographies of Colonial Disappointment
- Deadline for submission: July 30th
- Production: Postgraduate Program in Cultural Processes and Manifestations at Feevale University; Postgraduate Program in Cultural Sciences University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro; and Research Group Art and Identity Politics at the University of Murcia
- Organization: Aurora Alcaide Ramírez, Claudia Schemes, Daniel Conte, Fernando Moreira, Laura Ribero Rueda, Orquídea Maria Ribeiro Moreira
- Support: National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq); Research Support Foundation of the State of Rio Grande do Sul (Fapergs); and the National Education Development Fund (FNDE)
- Realization: Feevale University (Brazil), University of Murcia (Spain) and University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (Portugal)